Replacing your windows and doors is a big ticket home improvement, and not one to be taken lightly. There are many companies in this stable industry, all claiming to be the very best, and for many Australian homeowners, choosing a suitable supplier is difficult. It isn’t just the product that needs to be top notch, as the installation is critical, so make sure you deal with an established company, preferably someone local, and with that in mind, here are a few things to look for when souring a company to replace your windows and doors.
- Emphasis on Design – Replacing the windows and doors offers a rare design opportunity, and time should be spent looking at various examples of how one can change the character of the house. Look for window companies that focus on design and matching with existing surrounds, and they will be able to show you a few variations that might appeal. Any company that is not prepared to fully consider the design options, is likely looking for a quick sale and is profit motivated.
- Solid Reputation – You really should deal with a local company, and one that has been around a few years and has a good name in the community. When you are browsing any potential contractor’s website, look for testimonials, as these are a strong indicator that the overall service is as you would expect. A 10-year warranty would be standard these days, and the technical information regarding the product should all be there on the website.
- Manufacturer – Supplier – Many double glazing firms outsource the fabrication and this simply adds to the already considerable cost. Find a supplier who has their own factory, as this will ensure there are no mistakes, and it will keep the cost down, as there is no middleman. If only one company is involved in the entire process, they have total control, and with teams of directly informed installation teams, every project will be of the highest standard.
- Mid-Price Range – Avoid anything that seems too good to be true, as it probably is. The best quality doesn’t have to be the most expensive, and with such a major home improvement, quality is a prime requirement. If you are happy with everything and the price is neither high nor low, then it is likely you’ve made the right choice.
- Customer Focused – From the very outset, you should get the feeling that your input is welcome, and the representative who visits you at your home would help you to explore the many design options. It is always a good idea to invite 3 or 3 companies to quote, and stagger their visits and ask each a set of prepared question, which will give you a better idea of what is available. Many replacement window companies are happy to take a potential client to view a property or two, which gives you a clearer picture of any specific design combination.
If you find company that is all of the above, then your experience should be a positive one and you and your family can look forward to many years of improved comfort.